Overview of petersburg
Petersburg, Indiana is located in the northern part of Pike County, part of Washington Township, and has a population of approximately 2,300. It is the county seat, and the county has a population of approximately 12,410. Petersburg, IN is also the location of our office, which is on main street along with many other small businesses.
The town was laid out in 1817 and named after Peter Brenton, the original owner for the town site. There has been a post office in place since 1823 in the town as well.
popular people to come from petersburg
- Jody Davis, guitarist for Newsboys
- Samuel Hugh Dillin, judge
- John W. Foster, journalist and diplomat, U.S. Secretary of State
- Thomas L. Hisgen, nominee for President of the United States of the Independence Party in 1908
- Melba Phillips, physicist and science educator
- Gil Hodges, professional baseball player and manager
- Clyde Lovellette, professional basketball player
- John Wesley Posey, abolitionist
- Joe Wyatt, professional baseball player
important events in petersburg
Along with many others that are not mentioned here, there is a great variety of people that have come from the town.
In 1989, there was an F4 tornado which came through the town causing approximately 9 fatalities, 253 injuries along with large sums of damage to properties.
Have any other information to add to this article? Reach out to us today and we would love to know more!